Wishlist for Blackmagic Digital Cinema RAW camera
1. Make the mount extender detachable.
Right now the Canon EF/Nikon ZF mount sits past 40mm from the sensor. I know I went over this in my last post, but by reducing this distance to NEX or 4/3 20mm distance, a whole range of lens options open up. Lens options that work better with the 15.6mm wide sensor (2.1x 35mm FF crop)
2. Allow for line skipped higher framerate modes.
Cameras like the new FS700 change the sampling of the sensor to allow higher framerates. For instance, at 240fps you see a decrease in vertical resolution over the 120fps and slower modes. Certainly there may be limitations with the onboard cpu that might make this impossible, but if it is, people will gladly take a small resolution hit to get 60fps, or even 48fps like the Scarlet X at 3k. At the same time, it is also important, even without higher framerates, to have ramping options available in camera from 1-30fps.
3. Timelapse mode.
It certainly hasn’t been mentioned yet as far as I can tell, but a RAW timelapse mode would be incredibly useful for this camera. Settings for variable slow speed frame rates as well as long duration shutter exposures would be equally useful.
4. RGB Histogram.
Monitoring the image/exposure should be done exactly as Red does it. They’ve perfected the RGB histogram and it is essential for RAW cinema applications. Shutter should also allow for settings in shutter angle as well as further synchroscan settings for shooting monitors and other equipment.
- The Last Great Hacked GH2 update
- Anamorphic Options for the Blackmagic Cinema Camera
- First RAW Blackmagic Cinema Camera Footage
- Bolex Anamorphot Compatibility Chart
- Working on new tutorial series
- Blackmagic Cinema Camera Preorder
- Thoughts on the new 2.5k RAW Blackmagic Cinema Camera
- LA7200 Wide Angle CA fix for the Scarlet and GH2
- 4K Anamorphic with the Hacked GH2
- How I mount diopters to the LA7200.